Karine from France
Hosting country: Spain
Sending organisation: Compagnons Bâtisseurs France
1. What surprised you the most during your workcamp?
I was surprised that all people spoke different languages and we understood each other and we worked well! We spoke in French, English and Spanish. Also, I was surprised by the architecture of Tarragona. I found her curious about my hometown, Rennes. Visit the city of Tarragona, it was cool, it’s very attractive.
2. What was the biggest fear you had before the project and how did you manage to overcome it?
Before leaving, I always thought that speaking in another language would prevent me from understanding others, but it was not a problem because all my companions helped me to express myself. Finally I tried to speak Spanish and English to communicate. There is also internet that has helped me get over the language barrier.
Moreover the trip by plane scared me, and for that reason I took the train and I spent a big day before arriving, almost 12 hours but I had the motivation to live this experience.
The motivation to go to Workcamp and the support of others helped me to benefit from this experience.
3. What did you learn or what did you bring back with you (new knowledges, new feelings, memories, etc.)?
I learned to be more calmed and to work in groups with people of different nationalities and languages.
4. What advice would you give to someone about to take part in a workcamp for the first time?
Have confidence in yourself, and move forward in life without fear.
5. Anything else you want to share?
There was a good atmosphere among the volunteers.